ACANA Heritage foods are our original Biologically Appropriate™ recipes that celebrate our 25-year tradition of featuring fresh regional ingredients grown close to home by farmers, ranchers and fishermen we know and trust.
That means ACANA Heritage foods are brimming with free-run poultry and nest-laid eggs from local farms, freshwater fish from regional waters and heritage meats from Appalachian ranches — all delivered in fresh WholePrey™ ratios to nourish completely.
Prepared in our Kentucky DogStar® kitchens from America’s best and freshest ingredients, these unique and Biologically Appropriate™ foods are a delicious way to keep your dog healthy, happy, and strong.
Modern dogs are built like their ancestors and we believe they should eat like them.How do you know if your dog’s food is Biologically Appropriate™? It’s simple, just answer our Biologically Appropriate™ ‘three meat questions’:
- How much meat?: Entirely free of plant protein concentrates, ACANA Freshwater Fish is loaded with 60% fish — up to twice as much as most pet specialty dog foods.
- How much fresh meat?: 1/2 of the fish in ACANA are FRESH, supplying essential nutrients in their most nourishing form, and the other 1/2 are dried to provide a strong and natural source of nourishing fish protein.
- How many meats?: ACANA features three fresh fish in WholePrey™ ratios that include meat, organs and cartilage to supply nutrients naturally and completely:
- Rainbow trout – fish, liver and cartilage, fresh or raw from Idaho.
- Blue catfish – whole and fresh from local Kentucky waters.
- Yellow perch – fish, liver and cartilage, fresh or raw from Great Lake waters.
Zinc and Copper: In Mother Nature’s kitchen, there are no synthetic supplements, and dogs and wolves derive all of their nutritional needs by consuming whole prey animals; muscle meat provides protein; liver, kidney and tripe supply vitamins and minerals; bones and cartilage deliver calcium and phosphorus.ACANA mirrors the natural diet, applying our Meat Math and incorporating fish, organs and cartilage in ratios that deliver nutrients naturally. Our foods provide a concentrated and natural source of virtually every nutrient your dog needs to thrive, which is why virtually all of the nutrients in ACANA are naturally present and are not synthetic.
Ingredients: Rainbow trout, whole catfish, catfish meal, whole green peas, red lentils, pinto beans, catfish oil, chickpeas, green lentils, whole yellow peas, yellow perch, mackerel meal, herring oil, cod meal, lentil fiber, natural fish flavor, dried kelp, freeze-dried cod liver, whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, carrots, apples, pears, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, mixed tocopherols (preservative), chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rose hips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.SUPPLEMENTS: Zinc chelate, copper proteinate, vitamin E (preservative).
Crude protein (min.) 29 %
Fat content (min.) 17 %
Crude ash (max.) 7 %
Crude fibres (max.) 6 %
Moisture (max.) 12 %
Calcium (min.) 1 %
Phosphorus (min.) 0.8 %
Omega-6 fatty acids* (min.) 2 %
Omega-3 fatty acids* (min.) 1 %
DHA* (min.) 0.2 %
EPA* (min.) 0.2 %
Glucosamine* (min.) 700 mg/kg
Chondroitin sulfate* (min.) 900 mg/kg
Linoleic acid* (min.) 1.8 %
Carbohydrate (NFE) 29 %
Calorie Content: Metabolizable Energy is 3475 kcal/kg (396 kcal per 8oz cup), with 29% from protein, 29% from fruits and vegetables, and 42% from fish oils.