- Made in Kentucky, USA
- 60% Meat / 40% Fruits, Vegetables and Botanicals
- Grain Free
Your dog evolved as a meat eater. The structure of his teeth, jaws and digestive system scientifically classifies him as a carnivore, evolved for a meat-based diet.
That’s why we loaded ACANA Heritage Meats with Angus beef, Yorkshire pork and grass-fed lamb — all raised on local Kentucky farms and delivered fresh, in WholePrey™ ratios of meat, liver, tripe, kidney and cartilage to nourish your dog completely.
Prepared to our Biologically Appropriate™ and Fresh Regional Ingredient standards in our Kentucky DogStar® kitchens, ACANA is a natural and delicious way to keep your dog healthy, happy and strong.
Read our ingredients and you’ll be happy too!
It's all about the meat
Mother nature matched the nutrients in whole game, fish or fowl to perfectly meet the needs of your dog.
Modern dogs are built like their ancestors and we believe they should eat like them.How do you know if your dog’s food is Biologically Appropriate™? It’s simple, just answer our Biologically Appropriate™ ‘three meat questions’.
- How Much Meat?: Entirely free of plant protein concentrates, ACANA Heritage Meats is loaded with 60% red meat ingredients — up to twice as much as most pet specialty dog foods.
- How Much Fresh Meat?: 1/2 of the meat in ACANA is FRESH, supplying essential nutrients in their most nourishing form, and the other 1/2 is dried to provide a strong and natural source of nourishing animal protein.
- How Many Meats?: ACANA features three fresh meats in WholePrey™ ratios that include meat, organs and cartilage that supply nutrients to your dog naturally and completely.
- Angus beef – meat, tripe, liver, kidney and cartilage, fresh from local ranches.
- Yorkshire pork – meat, liver, kidney and cartilage, fresh from local Kentucky ranches.
- Grass-fed lamb– meat, tripe, liver, kidney and cartilage, fresh from local ranches.
ZINC | OUR ONE AND ONLY SUPPLEMENTIn Mother Nature’s kitchen there are no synthetic supplements, and dogs and wolves derive all of their nutritional needs by consuming whole prey animals; muscle meat provides protein; liver, kidney and tripe supply vitamins and minerals; bones and cartilage deliver calcium and phosphorus.ACANA mirrors the natural diet, applying our Meat Math and incorporating meat, organs and cartilage in ratios that deliver nutrients naturally . Our foods provide a concentrated and natural source of virtually every nutrient your dog needs to thrive, which is why virtually all of the nutrients in ACANA are naturally present and are not synthetic.
Ingredients: Deboned beef, deboned pork, beef meal, whole green peas, red lentils, pinto beans, pork meal, beef fat, chickpeas, green lentils, whole yellow peas, deboned lamb, herring oil, lentil fiber, natural pork flavor, beef tripe, beef liver, beef kidney, pork liver, pork kidney, pork cartilage, lamb tripe, lamb liver, lamb kidney, dried kelp, whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, carrots, apples, pears, freeze-dried beef liver, freeze-dried pork liver, freeze-dried lamb liver, zinc proteinate, mixed tocopherols (preservative), chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rose hips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.
SUPPLEMENTS: Zinc chelate. Vitamin E (preservative).
Crude protein (min.) 29 %
Fat content (min.) 17 %
Crude ash (max.) 9 %
Crude fibres (max.) 6 %
Moisture (max.) 12 %
Calcium (min.) 1.7 %
Phosphorus (min.) 1 %
Omega-6 fatty acids* (min.) 2.1 %
Omega-3 fatty acids* (min.) 0.8 %
DHA* (min.) 0.15 %
EPA* (min.) 0.15 %
Glucosamine* (min.) 600 mg/kg
Chondroitin sulfate* (min.) 800 mg/kg
Linoleic acid* (min.) 2 %
Carbohydrate (NFE) 27 %
*not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
Calorie Content: Metabolizable Energy is 3405 kCal per kg / 388 kCal per 8 oz. cup, with 30% from protein, 28% from fruits and vegetables, and 42% from richly nourishing animal fat.